Moderation...

Is there some new moderation standards going on? I just had a wallpaper deleted supposedly for "compression artifacts everywhere".. there's literally zero compression artifacts. It's an 8k photo I took myself, straight out of lightroom. There appears to be no logic. Makes you stop making any effort in uploading wallpapers TBH.

when you start taking photos at such high resolutions people will instinctively zoom in, and they will start seeing these "compression artifacts", but this is just sensor noise. higher megapixel count sometimes means more noise in your photos, even at minimum ISO and it's most likely because your sensor starts heating up.

if you're not willing to give up the high resolution, you have to denoise the photos in editing. maybe try impulse noise reduction, but you should experiment with other denoising methods to see what works best on every photo.

That still doesn't make sense, considering the litany of noisy photos you can easily find by browsing the collection. Enjoy all the AI generated photos I guess.. peace.

In your removed wallpaper at full resolution you can see compression artifacts around writing. These are distortions, of irregular shape, not noise. And nothing is zoomed in, I'm talking about the native resolution, at which quality is judged.

I'll restore this one. That's really a bit too strict. I'm not even sure if these are compression artifacts or just uneven printing on the physical object. We want to ensure a reasonable standard, not look for forensic evidence of compression – after all, every jpg has some compression.

Last updated

Gandalf said:

every jpg has some compression.

now that you mention it, is there any chance that wallhaven will support jpg xl in the future?